By Morgan Crawford a recent ASU Nutrition student
I found a delicious recipe for a warm Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad that makes for a perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner side dish. Try it out as a healthy, wholesome addition to your next holiday meal.
- 1 small Butternut Squash cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 cup Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1/3 cup Thinly Sliced Scallions
- 1/2 cup Roasted Salted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- Salt and Pepper
- Balsamic Glaze
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place butternut squash on lined tray, cover with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium pan. Add quinoa and toast for 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, then turn to low. Cover pot with lid and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Quinoa is cooked when all of the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa looks fluffy.
- Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add butternut squash, cranberries, feta, pomegranate seeds, parsley, and scallions.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired.