By Sarah Beleski a recent ASU Nutrition Student
Coffee cake is a perfect sweet treat and this sour cream coffee cake is one of my favorites. The recipe comes from my grandma and I can remember eating this coffee cake at so many family get-togethers.
My mom always tells me that when she was younger, her mom used to make this coffee cake on a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning. It was a special treat for them when my grandma made this recipe, and she has a lot of fond memories attached to this particular cake.
I always found this cake to be aesthetically pleasing because it requires an angel food cake pan for baking. It makes the coffee cake look like a huge donut and it also makes it very easy to cut!
If you’re looking for a sweet treat that will leave your kitchen smelling like a bakeshop, look no further! I hope this recipe invokes fond memories much as it did for my family.
- ¼ lb. margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for topping and filling:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer, cream together margarine, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract
- Add the sour cream to the mixture until incorporated
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat well
- Put ½ of the mixture in a greased and floured angel food cake pan or tube pan
- Sprinkle ½ of the filling on that mixture
- Add the rest of the batter on top of the filling mixture
- Use the remaining filling/topping on top of the batter
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes