Photo: Six Sister’s Stuff
By Sarah Hunt, AZFB Communications Intern
My family loves doing cookouts in the summer. We usually focus on grilling the main dish and adding a few easy sides like watermelon and corn on the cob to complete our meal. This is fine for just a regular week night when the weather is nice. However, my favorite part of a summer cookout isn’t the main course; it’s all of the delicious side dishes!
I discovered this recipe for Mexican street corn salad by the Six Sisters Stuff blog after I tried this side dish at my friend Laura’s Fourth of July party. This salad can be eaten by itself or even put on tacos. I just ate it with tortilla chips; and let me tell you, I could have eaten the whole bowl!
Laura recommended this specific recipe and I knew I had to share it here so all of you could enjoy it as well. She just mixed together canned corn, red onion, and feta, but if you want the more detailed version, see below!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces frozen corn 1 bag
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I used light)
- 4 ounces Cotija Cheese crumbled, (could also use feta cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (fresh is best)
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add frozen corn and let cook until corn starts to char, stirring occasionally (it took about 7-8 minutes before my corn was lightly charred).
- While the corn is cooking, mix together mayonnaise, cheese, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When corn is done, gently fold it in with other ingredients.
- Serve immediately and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
You can also use 3-4 cups fresh corn in place of the frozen corn.
Find more delicious summer cookout recipes on Fill Your Plate’s recipe database!