Fill Up on Fiber!

By Heide Kennedy, Arizona Farm Bureau Communications Intern

Did you know that only 7% of adults in the United States get enough fiber? That means that the remaining 93% of us are significantly lacking in our intake of this important nutrient.

Gift of CSA share

Fill up on fiber with fruits, vegetables, nuts and more.

According to registered dietician Novella Lui, fiber is a type of carbohydrate that can’t be digested or absorbed. There are two kinds of fiber, soluble, which forms a gel when combined with water, and insoluble, which doesn’t dissolve in water. Both kinds of fiber can provide a whole bunch of health benefits such as preventing constipation, stabilizing blood sugar, improving gut health, helping to maintain a healthy weight, and lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers.

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes are full of fiber, but the following are some foods that have an exceptional amount of fiber in them!

  • Artichokes
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Kale
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Collard Greens
  • Beets
  • Beet Greens
  • Turnip Greens
  • Mustard Greens

Arizona agriculture grows lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and legumes! Next time that you’re out grocery shopping, choose locally grown products so that you support Arizona farmers while getting high-quality fiber while you’re at it!

For more articles about fiber, or for more information about finding locally grown produce, check out the Fill Your Plate website!


Share This:
This entry was posted in Fill Your Plate, Food, Health Tips, Healthy Eating, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *