Spring is here and that means you will start to see even more fabulously fresh locally grown fruits and veggies available at local farmers markets. Commit to eating more local products this month to celebrate the farmers and ranchers that work hard to provide affordable access to fresh, flavorful food products. As an added bonus, when you eat according to what is in season you get the best food at the best price which can go a long way toward decreasing your food budget without sacrificing any quality or variety.
Here is a list of what is in season this month and ideas for delicious recipes featuring each of these locally grown in season items.
- Sautéed Scallops with Clementine Sauce and Toasted Beets
- Couscous with Clementines, Chickpeas, Olives, and Dates
- Cheesy Kohlrabi (http://www.food.com/recipe/cheesy-kohlrabi-10990)
- Sautéed Kohlrabi and Watercress (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sauteed-kohlrabi-and-watercress-recipe.html)
- What’s in Season in January? (fillyourplate.org)
- What’s in Season in February? (fillyourplate.org)
- What’s in Season in December? (fillyourplate.org)