Picture by Chris Cockren
By Sarah Hunt, AZFB Communications Intern
It’s the middle of summer and we’re all looking for ways to stay entertained and eating good food. One of my favorite summer activities to do with my family is to make s’mores (after sunset of course, when its cooler), whether it’s in the firepit in the backyard or while we’re out camping.
We all love the traditional graham cracker sandwich with gooey, toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate. But did you know there’s more than one way to make a s’more? Check out these awesome variations that give the classic dessert a special twist.
- Use Keebler Fudge Stripes cookies instead of graham crackers or chocolate. Another variation of this is to use Girl Scout cookies, like Samoas, Thin Mints, Tagalongs, etc.
- Add a few Rollo’s instead of using a milk chocolate bar.
- Replace the chocolate with a Reese’s peanut butter cup.
- Nutella or cookie butter are also delicious chocolate substitutes.
- Use homemade chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers.
- Open an Oreo cookie and put the marshmallow in between the two cookies with the frosting, instead of graham crackers. Or add a piece of graham cracker to the inside of the Oreo with the marshmallow.
- Replace the graham crackers with flat waffle cookies.
- Try using Ghirardelli squares instead of Hershey’s. You can pick from a variety of flavors: dark, raspberry, caramel, etc.
- Use a Kit Kat instead of a plain chocolate bar to add a little more crunch.
- To make a Mexican hot chocolate s’more, add small pieces of a Nestle’s Abuelita hot chocolate tablet instead of milk chocolate.
Most of these recipes, along with a few others, can be found on the Shared Appetite blog. Use your creativity to come up with a few original recipes of your own and share them with us!
Don’t forget to check out more delicious summer recipes using our searchable recipe database on the Fill Your Plate website!